[BRLTTY] Getting to know BRLTTY

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Feb 11 07:43:19 EST 2015

[quoted lines by Cearbhal O'Meadhra on 2015/02/11 at 10:11 -0000]

>I have a Braille Lite 2000 which I am able to interface with NVDA to display
>the text strings which NVDA speaks out through the eSpeak synthesiser. To do
>this I have installed BRLTTY and run "install.bat". I can see that this has
>started the BrlAPI service. I notice that NVDA only sends strings to the
>braille Lite when this service is running. I have run BRLTTY config and set
>this to Braille lite on com 7. I see that there is also a module called
>BRLTTY.exe. Should I run this? What does it do?

No, you shouldn't be runing it directly as you've attached it to the BrlAPI
service. Starting the BrlAPI service starts brltty for you.

>I cannot make this connection easily every time so I suspect that I am doing
>something wrong! Can you advise me where to begin,

I myself am not a Windows user, so I'm speaking more from theory than from
experience. It should work as long as you start the BrlAPI service before you
start NVDA. If you start NVDA first, or if you stop the BrlAPI service while
NVDA is running, you may have trouble as I'm not sure how well NVDA reconnects
if it encounters a problem.