[BRLTTY] Technibraille Alizé

Pierre Lorenzon devel at pollock-nageoire.net
Wed Jul 1 00:46:59 EDT 2015

Hi Dave,

From: Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc>
Subject: Re: [BRLTTY] Technibraille Alizé
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 00:07:36 -0400

> [quoted lines by Pierre Lorenzon on 2015/07/01 at 04:43 +0200]
>
>>	    OK I am this one !
>
> Nice to know an actual TechniBraille user.

  In fact we already discuss about this device a few years ago
  when I got it in my office.

>>  The particular device I have in my office works.
>
> This's also good to know. That driver really was written with absolutely no
> testing.
>
>>		  OK here is the command I use to launch brltty
>>		  : /bin/brltty -b tn -d /dev/ttyS0 -t text.pln
>
> What's -t text.pln supposed to do. Brltty has no text table with that name, or
> even with a name similar to that.

  A table I wrote for my own use and that I find particularly
  suitable for me. But in fact it does not matter.

>>		  but it is connected on a native serial
>>		  device, not on a converter.
>
> -d serial:ttyUSB0 would be corfrect for a serial adapter. I'm not sure which
> brltty release he's using. If it's old then -d /dev/ttyUSB0 would be correct.

>>	     I am still the one who told that. In fact when
>>	     starting the alizé you you got a menu. I discover
>>	     that on my device you have to click the jaws item
>>	     to establish a connection between the device and
>>	     the pc that may be used by brltty. Once jaws is
>>	     clicked and you start the pc you get a message :
>>	     "connection non établie 2279" until you get brllty
>>	     welcome message.
>
> That makes sense. Specifying JAWS probably tells it to go into braille display

  Certainly. But if Raphaël does not have any jaws item in the
  menu I don't know what should replace it. He might simply try
  the 4 or 5 items until he find the good one. Hopefully this
  jaws is not hidden in a cryptic submenu somewhere ...

> mode for a PC screen reader.
>
> What other choices does it have for that setting, and what is the setting
> itself called?

  I do not exactely remember what are the other choices. I know
  that there was this emulation pc that was not good. In fact I
  am not at my office at the moement and I cannot verify. As
  soon as I will be there I will be able to answer other
  questions.

>>  I know : up to restrictions I mentioned above. In fact I see
>>  at least three differnces between my situation and Raphaël's
>>  :
>>
>>  1. connection via a true serial port vs an adapter
>
> This shouldn't matter.
>
>>  2. Maybe not exactly the same soft version in the braille
>>  device.
>>
>>  3. I am driving this alizé with a brltty 3.9. Do not ask me
>>  why ! but only because that the pc that still have a serial
>>  port has an obsolete red hat 8 system on it.
>
> Are you able to test your TechniBraille with the latest brltty? We'd sure
> appreciate it if you could.

  Hum difficult for the moment. But we maybe can see with
  Raphaël if we may make some tests with mine and his device
  etc. I suspect that we do not live so far away from each
  other.

  Pierre