[BRLTTY] Brltty and Orca

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Jun 29 17:40:12 EDT 2015

[quoted lines by Luca Saiu on 2015/06/29 at 19:15 +0200]

>Anyway the conversation, and some feedback by others, made me understand
>that Brltty is not an AT-SPI client, which was surprising to me.  Now
>that I've a little more knowledge about the accessibility subsystem I'll
>watch again Samuel Thibault's videos, which are often enlightening,
>paying attention to this detail.

Actually, it can be. The default screen driver for brltty on Linux is its Linux
screen driver, which reads a text console screen. There are two other
interesting screen drivers, though. One is the AtSpi [at] driver (which uses
AT-SPI release 1), and the other is the AtSpi2 [a2] driver (which uses AT-SPI
release 2).

>In any case, when developing my application and looking at others, I
>notice that brltty seems to renders the same "text" vocalized by Orca

This is most likely because you've configured Orca to use brltty as its braille
driver. When you do that, Orca uses brltty's BrlAPI interface in order to
directly control what's on the braille display.

Letting Orca control what's shown in braille is probably the best way to go.
If, however, you'd like to experiment with brltty's AT-SPI screen drivers then
you should probably turn off Orca's braille capability. If you don't, then
you'll probably end up with confusion since two different sources (Orca and
AT-SPI) will both be trying to simultaneously control the content of the
braille display.