[BRLTTY] Technibraille Alizé

Pierre Lorenzon devel at pollock-nageoire.net
Tue Jun 30 22:43:37 EDT 2015

Hi!

From: Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc>
Subject: Re: [BRLTTY] Technibraille Alizé
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 12:54:18 -0400

> [quoted lines by Raphaël POITEVIN on 2015/06/30 at 18:25 +0200]
>
>>I have to connect a Technibraille Alizé for a customer. Someone
>>explained to me the protocol works with no warranties but works.

	    OK I am this one !

> I've no idea if it works or not. We added a driver for it a long time ago, but
> have never had access to a TechniBraille in order to do any testing. We'd be
> glad to work with you to get it working.

  The particular device I have in my office works. But I don't
  really know if there are variants of this device.

>>I've selected in brltty.conf braille-driver tn and braille-device
>>serial:ttyUSB0. It doesn't work. The serial converter is connected,

		  OK here is the command I use to launch brltty
		  : /bin/brltty -b tn -d /dev/ttyS0 -t text.pln
		  but it is connected on a native serial
		  device, not on a converter.

>>there is the file /dev/ttyUSB0.
>
> That all looks correct. Just one thing. In case you have more than one serial
> adapter connected, check in case you have other ttyUSB<n> devices.
>
>>brltty -b tn -d ttyUSB0 -e doesn't display any errors.
>
> Add these options: -n -ldebug,serial,inpkts,outpkts -Llogfile
>
>>Someone told me we have to select "Jaws" on the Alizé. On this one, tehe
>>"Windows", no "Jaws". I tried also with "Emulation PC".

	     I am still the one who told that. In fact when
	     starting the alizé you you got a menu. I discover
	     that on my device you have to click the jaws item
	     to establish a connection between the device and
	     the pc that may be used by brltty. Once jaws is
	     clicked and you start the pc you get a message :
	     "connection non établie 2279" until you get brllty
	     welcome message.

	     Beware Raphaël I am not shure that with very old
	     stuff you might do operations in any order. In
	     fact I always start the alizé, click on jaws and
	     then start the pc.

	     I tried also this options emulation pc but it
	     never gave anything. I suspect that we do not have
	     exactly the same soft on the alizé even if the
	     device itself is the same.

> I don't know enough about the TechniBraille to have an opinion on this.
>
>>Is this braille display still supported ?
>
> Ideally, yes. Without having been able to do any testing, who knows.

  I know : up to restrictions I mentioned above. In fact I see
  at least three differnces between my situation and Raphaël's
  :

  1. connection via a true serial port vs an adapter

  2. Maybe not exactly the same soft version in the braille
  device.

  3. I am driving this alizé with a brltty 3.9. Do not ask me
  why ! but only because that the pc that still have a serial
  port has an obsolete red hat 8 system on it.

  Pierre