[BRLTTY] Queries on Navigation in Android

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Sep 1 14:27:54 EDT 2015

[quoted lines by Rob on 2015/08/30 at 22:31 -0500]

>>What happens if you swipe to it, but then use brltty to click on it?
>Nothing at all. The Braille Sense also has an enter key (even the
>learn mode identifies it as such) and that doesn't work either. I
>tried it in different places, like the power off, restart, airplane
>mode dialog box that comes up when you hold down the power button,
>and the enter key doesn't function as such. The routing key works to
>bring the screen cursor to the control, but the second routing key
>just will not activate them; nor will the enter key. The enter key
>does work, however, inside menus to activate submenus and such. Is it
>some kind of permissions issue with Brltty not having the requisite
>access?

No, it wouldn't be a permissions issue. Again, I'd like to see a log that shows
what's going on when you do these things.

A note about capturing logs: Before you do, please do two things. The first is
to set the Log Level to Debug. The second is to enable a few Log Categories:
Bluetooth (or USB), Input Packets, Braille Keys.

>I did a little more checking into the problem of Brltty not finding
>the device. When the phone locks itself, and you take the Braille
>Sense out of terminal mode, an then put it back in, and unlock the
>phone, Brltty will not reconnect to it using bluetooth. I am unsure
>how to resolve this. Brltty will not reconnect to it either, if the
>phone is still unlocked when taking the Braille Sense out of terminal
>mode. I expect this is a bluetooth problem, however, and not a Brltty
>one.

As before, a log showing what's going on would be helpful.

>I have the SDK on my windows PC, but not on my Linux one. It pulls in
>a lot of stuff I am unsure how to deal with, like Java and things
>like that.

You should be able to just let the extra stuff install. You shouldn't need to
configure anything. A lot of the SDK is for compiling, etc, which you don't
need to be doing. What you need from the SDK is the adb command.

>When extracting the logs, am I sending personal information like my
>phone number, to whom I am texting, and the contents of the text
>messages and so on? I can always edit the log file to remove that
>stuff, but I am curious.

To be safe, you can clear the log first with the "adb logcat -c" command. You
may also feel free to send the log directly to me rather than to the whole
mailing list.