[BRLTTY] New BC640 how to???

adrian at pa0rda.nl adrian at pa0rda.nl
Sat Sep 12 12:11:42 EDT 2015

On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 11:39:02AM -0400, Dave Mielke wrote:
> [quoted lines by adrian at pa0rda.nl on 2015/09/12 at 12:56 +0200]
>
> >I think I figured out the knobs on the front of the BC680.
> >From left to right:
> >Home, Left, Up, Down, Right, Left, Up, Down, Right, Home.
> >You can attach two computers to the device and split th 680 into two
> >640's which makes sense to me.
>
> Yes, that makes sense. On a BC640:
>
>    Home has a short vertical line at its center.
>    Left has a short vertical line near its left end.
>    Right has a short vertical line near its right end.
>    Up has a long horizontal line near its top.
>    Down has a long horizontal line near its bottom.

Exactly, same here, but two groups instead of one.
> >There are two identical smartpads on the 680, knobs from left to right:
> >This is an estimated guess:
> >F1, F2, Center,  ?1, ?2,.
>
> I'm going to guess that the right two are F3 and F4. On a BC640:
>
>    F1 has three horizontal lines.
>    F2 has one horizontal line.
>    F3 has one vertical line.
>    F4 has three vertical lines.
>
> >Indeed five knobs, The center is having four positions, you can move it
> >up down left and right, no clue what this positions do.
>
> I suspect it can also be pressed. On a BC640, there are four short, thin
> buttons that form a square (with the corners missing), and a small, round
> button in the middle. These form what one might call a five-position
> directional pad.
After closer inspection there are indeed nine kbuttons the way you
describe it, there are just again two identical groups of them. In this
way you could indeed split the thing in two 640's..
OK that's solved, now we know what we are talking about. :-)
Sorry for the misunderstanding, it is always difficult to find your way
around a new machine if you dont know what to expect.

> --
> Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | The Bible is the very Word of God.
> Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | http://Mielke.cc/bible/
> EMail: Dave at Mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://FamilyRadio.org/

	Adri P. van Bloois
	Antonlaan 104		email:	adrian at pa0rda.nl
	3701 VG Zeist		voice:	+31-(0)-30-6912741
	The Netherlands		fax:	NONE

52 05'15.77"N 5 4'44.56"E
QTH-locater	 JO 22 OC

"Elegance is not a dispensable luxury but a factor that decides between
 success and failure."
	Edsger W. Dijkstra