[BRLTTY] brltty5.2 alpine2.11 cursor tracking

Nicolas Pitre nico at fluxnic.net
Mon Sep 14 19:20:59 EDT 2015

On Mon, 14 Sep 2015, Dave Mielke wrote:

> [quoted lines by Nicolas Pitre on 2015/09/14 at 18:11 -0400]
>
> >I really do enjoy the current display refresh snappiness and
> >I'd like for my refresh delay to remain at 0.
>
> Could you give the latest code (with a 5ms delay) a (fair) test? I don't think
> that this rather short delay is noticeable.

Agreed.

> Fiddling with delayed reaction to cursor tracking could result in poor tracking
> of cursor routing.

I'd say that depends.  Normally, when cursor tracking is on, the cursor
usually stays visible.  When it moves out of the braille window, we want
the later to follow immediately.  If it happens to be a spurious move
i.e the cursor returns to its original position then the window will
move back just as quickly. That might be slightly annoying but the
initial braille window is normally restored.

But when tracking is on and the window was manually moved away from the
cursor then a spurious cursor move becomes very irritating as the
manually selected window location is lost in that case. A 5ms grace
period might not be sufficient for the cursor to return to its original
position.  Hence my suggestion to re-evaluate a tracked cursor move
after a longer delay when the initial cursor position is not within the
braille window.  This delay wouldn't apply when the cursor initial
position is inside the braille window, which would be the common case
when tracking is on.

Nicolas