[BRLTTY] linux and braille embossers?

kendell clark coffeekingms at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 04:56:26 EDT 2016

hi all
First of all I apologize if this is the wrong list for this, but this
seemed like a good place to start. I've been getting a lot of questions
on the sonar gnu linux support list about how well braille embossers
work with linux. I don't own one of these ridiculously expensive pieces
of equipment, but this is linux, so they probably do work. Does brltty
handle them, or is there another software project that does? I'm trying
to figure out what to tell the person who's asking. I know liblouis
handles translation and back translation, but does cups have drivers for
braille embossers, so they show up as a normal printer? I'm not really
familiar with braille embossers so excuse my ignorance. If not, what's
the procedure for getting a braille embosser recognized by linux so
documents can be sent to it?

Thanks
Kendell Clark