[BRLTTY] linux and braille embossers?

MENGUAL Jean-Philippe mengualjeanphi at free.fr
Sat Apr 16 05:09:05 EDT 2016

Hi,

Le 16/04/2016 10:56, kendell clark a écrit :
> hi all
> First of all I apologize if this is the wrong list for this, but this
> seemed like a good place to start. I've been getting a lot of questions
> on the sonar gnu linux support list about how well braille embossers
> work with linux. I don't own one of these ridiculously expensive pieces
> of equipment, but this is linux, so they probably do work. Does brltty
> handle them, or is there another software project that does? I'm trying

No brltty doesn't handle this. It's cups. Cups now has a filter for some
embossers.

> to figure out what to tell the person who's asking. I know liblouis
> handles translation and back translation, but does cups have drivers for
> braille embossers, so they show up as a normal printer? I'm not really
> familiar with braille embossers so excuse my ignorance. If not, what's

Yes, Cups has this and uses Liblouis in the filter. Anyway you can set
any embosser with generic driver, then use liblouis by hand and run a
embossing.

> the procedure for getting a braille embosser recognized by linux so
> documents can be sent to it?

Yes. Hope the filter makes things easier, as now just lp is needed once
the filter is set.

Anyway, you should ask on debian-a11y ML or Cups, but here is really not
the project related to it.

Sincerely,