[BRLTTY] brltty new user

Storm Dragon stormdragon2976 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 21:06:59 EDT 2016

Howdy,
I am using brltty  with speech via the espeak driver adn with the keypad keyboard driver. I am very impressed so far. The kernel I am using does not have speakup included, and I like to use the console for about 99% of things, and that wasn't possible with this computer until I finally got console access again with brltty.
There are a couple things I am not sure about though. Although I have autoread turned on, new incoming text is not read. This is the case for most things, like if I type ls, the list of files isn't automatically read, and I have to use kppluss+numpad 7 and 9 to move through the output.
Also, even on the loudest setting, the espeak driver is still very quiet. Using espeak with the speech-dispatcher driver is much louder, but I would prefer just to use the espeak driver itself. It is still usable, but I was wondering if maybe it could be changed to take  full advantage of espeak's volume range. I'm not sure what the programatic version of this would be, but if you type espeak -a 200 "message" then the speech is at max volme.
Thanks
Storm