[BRLTTY] brltty new user

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Jul 1 23:23:34 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by Storm Dragon on 2016/07/01 at 21:06 -0400]

>Although I have autoread turned on, new incoming text is not read. This is the
>case for most things, like if I type ls, the list of files isn't automatically
>read, and I have to use kppluss+numpad 7 and 9 to move through the output.

Yes, that's expected. Brltty doesn't monitor characters as they're being
written to the screen. It looks at the screen for how it is as a whole, and
tells you, based on your settings, what has changed.

>Also, even on the loudest setting, the espeak driver is still very quiet.
>Using espeak with the speech-dispatcher driver is much louder, but I would
>prefer just to use the espeak driver itself. It is still usable, but I was
>wondering if maybe it could be changed to take full advantage of espeak's
>volume range.

Are you building brltty from source? If so, I an suggest a change to the source
to see if it resolves your problem. If it does, we can make that change
permanent.

>I'm not sure what the programatic version of this would be, but if you type
>espeak -a 200 "message" then the speech is at max volme.

Yes, it looks like brltty's eSpeak driver is limiting the volume to only 100%.