[BRLTTY] brltty new user

Storm Dragon stormdragon2976 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 18:24:28 EDT 2016

Howdy,
It can make for a lot of speaking. But there's usually a silence speech key to interupt if you don't want to hear what is being spoken. Also, most screen readers have a setting, in a lot of cases default, that interupts incoming speech whenever you press anything on the keyboard, typing a word, pressing shift, etc.
I seem to remember hearing about something in /dev that con provide the screen's output for updates to the screen, but that nothing currently uses it, speakup included. There is another reader called yasr, but it is abandonware as far as I can tell.
Another option was something called jupiter with acsint, but I couldn't get it to compile. I am running an ARMv7 machine, and it required the kernel headers to compile into the kernel, which I did install, but then it ran into other problems.
I was finally told that brltty could act as a screen reader, and I installed it and it works great for the most part. The mutt support is spectacular. I think it actually does better than speakup with mutt.
I am learning to work around the no autospeaking thing, but it sure would be nice to have lol.
Thanks
Storm