[BRLTTY] brltty new user

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Jul 2 21:21:58 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by Storm Dragon on 2016/07/02 at 18:24 -0400]

>It can make for a lot of speaking. But there's usually a silence speech key to
>interupt if you don't want to hear what is being spoken. Also, most screen
>readers have a setting, in a lot of cases default, that interupts incoming
>speech whenever you press anything on the keyboard, typing a word, pressing
>shift, etc.

Brltty has a command (KPPeriod + KP7) to go up to the previous command prompt,
and another command (KPPlus + KP2) to speak from where you are down to the
bottom of the screen. I think that these commands, when used together,
effectively do what's being asekd for. I suppose, if there's a need, we could
add a third command that does both of them.

>I seem to remember hearing about something in /dev that con provide the
>screen's output for updates to the screen, but that nothing currently uses it,
>speakup included.

I'm unaware of any such device.

>I was finally told that brltty could act as a screen reader,

Just to be picky: Brltty is a screen reader. It's just that it's primary target
is braille users. I think that you're referring to speech-oriented screen
readers.

This brings me to a question: There seems to have been a significant growth in
those looking at brltty to be their speech screen reader lately. Does anyone
know why? Is Speakup, for some reason, no longer the speech screen reader of
choice?

And, while I'm asking questions, I have another one for you: There's a guy on
this list who's been trying to get brltty's espeak speech driver, via Pulse
Audio, to work reliably. From what you've written, you seem to have figured out
how to do it. Would you mind describing how you've set all this stuff up on
your system?