[BRLTTY] brltty new user

Storm Dragon stormdragon2976 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 21:48:32 EDT 2016

Howdy,
The device is something like /dev/svca. I haven't done anything with it myself, but maybe it could be useful.
Speakup is a great screen reader. I personally love it and would happily be using it now, except the Odroid kernel doesn't include staging, so no speakup for me. I have to find an alternative. I have been using full graphical for a while now. Brltty has at least gotten me back partially to where I want to be. A lot of people think the screen reader doesn't belong in the kernel. Personally I could care less if it is in the kernel or user space, just so long as it works. I don't care about the politics, just the functionality lol, and speakup rocks.
As for getting it working with pulse, I can't take credit for that. Chrys figured that out. You just have to drop in 2 files and it will start playing nicely together. I have attached them here. The client.conf goes in the pulse config for root:
Place the default.pa in your ~/.config/pulse directory
Finally restart pulseaudio or reboot your computer and it should work. Sometimes brltty speech will be crackly, so just do a sudo systemctl restart brltty and it should fix it. Speech with espeak is a bit too quiet even on loudest setting, but other than that, it is very responsive and quite nice to use.