[BRLTTY] brltty new user

chrys87 chrys87 at web.de
Sat Jul 2 18:43:30 EDT 2016

Hi/Dave, first, respect for this awsome software. for example if you type
"ls" bltty is just announcing the new bash prompt. what he wants is that
brltty reads all the output of ls. or if you fire a "ping" that if the
answer appear and its printet on the screen that the result is spoken. > //I assume you mean autospeak. What brltty's autospeak feature does is to
speak yes, I think he is talking about something like autospeak. />As far as I can recall, you're the first user who's asking for this feature.
I think i can explain this to you. autospeak is just a "voice" related feature.
In linux we had to fight again a problem with pulseaudio to have that voice support.
The problem is related to the nature of pulseaudio is just working for the current user session. And the "normal user" and root are two different users.
So you only had the chance to get the voice working if you configured PA systemwide.
Now i found another solution. this is the reason that some people now are able to use your awesome speak features.
In other operating systems there is maybe no need for having the incomming text voiced because the shell is not as important as it in linux based systems is.
I hope that explains why the need for this feature just appears in this days.
for voice this is for sure a very useful feature. because you dont have always to cursor around.

> This is probably somethnig that Speakup does. Since it's within the kernel, it
yea that will make it more easy for Speakup to care about that stuff.
I now about (sadly a not active) maintained consolescreenreader "yasr" that is able to do that task without root permission.
Not sure how this works.
http://yasr.sourceforge.net/

maybe we can find some useful information in:

[quoted lines by Storm Dragon on 2016/07/02 at 08:54 -0400]

>/Oh, I must be misunderstanding what autoread is supposed to do. /
I assume you mean autospeak. What brltty's autospeak feature does is to speak
changes to the current line. It has various subsettings so that you can
optionally have different types of changes spoien, e.g. typed characters,
deleted characters, replaced characters, selected characters, etc.

>/I wonder if y'all would consider adding a setting to read text as it
comes in? />/It would make mudding and some other tasks a lot easier. /
This is probably somethnig that Speakup does. Since it's within the kernel, it
can easily hook into the place where characters are written to the screen.
Brltty can't do that quite so easily because it runs outside the kernel and can
only inspect what's currently on the screen.

As far as I can recall, you're the first user who's asking for this feature.
I'm wondering, therefore, out of ignorance and curiosity more than anything
else, how it'd make a task easier as it could mean a lot of extra speaking. The
way we'd tackle it from a braille perspective would be to use the brltty
command that goes back to the previous command prompt, and then to start
reading forward from there.