[BRLTTY] brltty new user

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Jul 2 19:37:06 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by chrys87 on 2016/07/03 at 00:43 +0200]

>what he wants
>is that brltty reads all the output of ls. or if you fire a "ping"
>that if the answer appear and its printet on the screen that the
>result is spoken.

Yes, I understand what this feature is supposed to do. I'm just not convinced
that it'd add to what brltty already provides. Speech, by nature, is slow so
I'm not understanding why one would want anything other than the line(s) one is
actually looking for to be spoken. Wouldn't it be much faster, therefore, to
just let the command finish and then to look for the interesting line(s)?

>for voice this is for sure a very useful feature. because you dont have always
>to cursor around.

But you do have to listen to a whole lot of speaking of lines you probably
aren't actually interested in. Isn't that a huge waste of time?

>I now about (sadly a not active) maintained consolescreenreader "yasr" that is able to do that task without root permission.
>Not sure how this works.
>http://yasr.sourceforge.net/

As I recall, yasr was a change to the screen program. If so, it, like Speakup,
was in the position of being able to hook right into what's being written to
the screen.