[BRLTTY] brltty new user

kendell clark coffeekingms at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 21:50:52 EDT 2016

hi
I can't speak for all users, but my primary reason is that pulse audio,
having become installed on nearly all linux distros, interferes with
speakup's ability to speak. They essentially fight over the sound card
and pulse audio, sitting between the sound card and your programs,
blocks speakup's ability to speak. This makes speakup effectively
useless unless you can either a, log in from a text console blindly and
then turn it on, which only works for that tty and won't work for any
other or b, uninstall pulse audio, which apart from being very difficult
takes out a lot of the functionality most desktop oriented users are
looking for. Per application volume, new sound devices being recognized
and set up automatically, etc. Another reason is that the developer of
espeakup, the connector between espeakup and speakup, is deceased and no
one wants to pick it up. Speechd-up, which is a connector between
speakup and speech-dispatcher, is abandonware and only vinux can get it
working, and even they have problems with it since it relies on console
kit to do it's work. It hasn't been updated since before systemd was
developed. This is why I'm trying to role brltty into sonar in such a
way that it will work both for braille users and for people who want to
use the text console. Although I don't use the console myself people
should be able to use it without knowing indepth knowledge about how
linux works to do it.
Thanks
Kendell Clark