[BRLTTY] Screen not in text mode

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Jul 2 23:32:15 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by Amanda Lacy on 2016/07/02 at 22:16 -0500]

>I'm using a Vinux VM on my Mac. BRLTTY displays the message in the
>subject line instead of what's on the screen. How do I fix it?

Brltty shows "screen not in text mode" when your system is switched to a
graphical console and a graphical screen reader (like Orca) isn't running. In
your case, my guess is that your system is booting to an X console. I suspect
that what you need to do is to switch to a text console.

Linux systems usually boot to tty1, so my guess is that your system defines its
consoles such that X is on tty1, and that tty2 through (maybe) tty6 are text
consoles. To switch to a different console, you need to hold both Control and
Left Alt while pressing the associated Function key. So, in your case, you'd
probably need to hold both Control and Left Alt while pressing F2. I'm not sure
if, on a Mac-hosted virtual machine, you can do that directly if if the key
combination is a bit different.