[BRLTTY] brltty new user

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sun Jul 3 00:02:41 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by kendell clark on 2016/07/02 at 20:08 -0500]

>I think this is why it would be useful for brltty to only read the new
>incoming text if it's below a certain length. You wouldn't want whole
>screenfulls of new text read out, that would take a while and might not
>have anything you want to read.

If the screen reader starts to present the data, then it needs to keep on
presenting all of the data. If it suddenly stops after some limit, the user
will likely think that something has gone wrong with his system.

>It's up to you guys if you add this feature and what you set it to,

:-)

>but storm is asking for a useful feature.

It's either useful because it actually is, or it's perceived to be useful
simply because that's how something else has always done it. That's what I'm
trying to understand.

>Does brltty do this with braille? New text appearing either on the screen if
>you're in console mode or in the gui if you're using brlapi?

Yes, of course new text appears on the screen. No, however, that brltty
automatically jumps to the new text and starts to follow along with it. I guess
that's just not how braille users think. We just move the braille display
around the screen, even while a command is executing, to read whateever it is
that we want to be reading. Normally, cursor movement automatically jumps the
braille display back to the current line, but we can disable that feature
(cursor tracking) if we need to, as well.

As of the most recent release, 5.4, one can almost do what you're describing.
There's a new feature in 5.4 called delayed cursor tracking. What it does is
delay the automatic movement of the braille display due to cursor movement as
long as the cursor movement is entirely outside what's currently on the braille
display. If, within the delay period, the cursor goes back to exactly where it
originally was, the braille display doesn't move. The intent of this feature is
to prevent the braille display from being undesirably, automatically moved due
to things like the updating of a status lines.

Another practical use of this, however, is to start a command and then move the
braille display up one line. Now the braille display will always show the last
line of command output until the command completes, at which time the braille
display does automatically jump to the new command prompt.