[BRLTTY] brltty new user

covici at ccs.covici.com covici at ccs.covici.com
Sun Jul 3 00:45:45 EDT 2016

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> wrote:

> [quoted lines by chrys87 on 2016/07/03 at 00:43 +0200]
>
> >what he wants
> >is that brltty reads all the output of ls. or if you fire a "ping"
> >that if the answer appear and its printet on the screen that the
> >result is spoken.
>
> Yes, I understand what this feature is supposed to do. I'm just not convinced
> that it'd add to what brltty already provides. Speech, by nature, is slow so
> I'm not understanding why one would want anything other than the line(s) one is
> actually looking for to be spoken. Wouldn't it be much faster, therefore, to
> just let the command finish and then to look for the interesting line(s)?
>
> >for voice this is for sure a very useful feature. because you dont have always
> >to cursor around.
>
> But you do have to listen to a whole lot of speaking of lines you probably
> aren't actually interested in. Isn't that a huge waste of time?
>
> >I now about (sadly a not active) maintained consolescreenreader "yasr" that is able to do that task without root permission.
> >Not sure how this works.
> >http://yasr.sourceforge.net/
>
> As I recall, yasr was a change to the screen program. If so, it, like Speakup,
> was in the position of being able to hook right into what's being written to
> the screen.

Screen and yasr do not have access to the kernnel.  I think for speech,
this feature would be useful as you don't know if there is anything to
read once you have typed a command unless you have looked back and
sometimes you don't.  I use speakup however and this is one of its nice
features, if I type a command I just let it go and hit control or enter
on the numpad to shut it up, and of course I use less a lot.  With
Braille its not that useful and what you are doing is correct.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici
         covici at ccs.covici.com