[BRLTTY] documentation issues

Rich Morin rdm at cfcl.com
Mon Jul 4 14:07:12 EDT 2016

While perusing the BRLTTY and BrlAPI web pages, I ran into several
issues (see below).  No guarantees, but let me know if some editing
assistance would be welcomed.

-r

# The BrlAPI Programmers' Reference

The "Documentation" page (http://mielke.cc/brltty/documentation.html)
contains a link (The BrlAPI Programmers' Reference) to:

  BrlAPI  1.0
  http://mielke.cc/brltty/doc/BrlAPIref/index.html

The page in question appears to be rather dated, even though it was
generated by Doxygen.  Also, all of the img (image) links are broken.

# BrlAPI Reference Manual

## Broken Link

The link from the "How to make applications accessible?" page
(http://brl.thefreecat.org) for the BrlAPI "reference manual"
(on http://brl.thefreecat.org) gets a 404 (Not Found) error:

  Not Found
  http://mielke.cc/brltty/doc/BrlAPIref-HTML/index.html

## Printing

I dislike reading manuals from a computer screen, but I couldn't find
an easy way to print the manual.  Am I missing something?

FWIW, a "text" version of the manual is available at:

  http://mielke.cc/brltty/doc/Manual-BrlAPI/English/BrlAPI.txt

However, it is essentially unusable, due to peculiarities such as:

  11..  IInnttrroodduuccttiioonn
  _B_r_l_A_P_I is a service ...

## Updates?

The only version of the manual I could find is almost a decade old:

  BrlAPI Reference manual
  V1.4, December 2006
  http://mielke.cc/brltty/doc/Manual-BrlAPI/English/BrlAPI.html

Meanwhile, the BRLTTY Download page says

  The current production version of BrlAPI is 0.6.5 (June 28, 2016).

Clearly, the manual needs updating.  Would someone be willing to supply
me with additions and/or changes?  Where do the current sources reside?

# BRLTTY Download page

The download page contains no descriptions of the downloadable files.
The extensions (eg, apk, exe, rpm, tar.gz, tar.xz, zip) hint at the
file formats, but I see no indication of the contents.  For example,
which archives subsume which other ones?

Several of the archives are only available in rpm format, which is
specific to a particular version of Linux.  It would be nice to have
tar.gz or zip versions available, as well.

http://www.cfcl.com/rdm           Rich Morin           rdm at cfcl.com
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume    San Bruno, CA, USA   +1 650-873-7841

Software system design, development, and documentation