[BRLTTY] documentation issues

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Jul 5 06:43:19 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by Rich Morin on 2016/07/04 at 11:07 -0700]

>I dislike reading manuals from a computer screen, but I couldn't find
>an easy way to print the manual.  Am I missing something?

Are you looking for something like a PDF version, or is the cleaned up text
version good enough?

>The download page contains no descriptions of the downloadable files.
>The extensions (eg, apk, exe, rpm, tar.gz, tar.xz, zip) hint at the
>file formats, but I see no indication of the contents.

The line for each downloadable file contains its name (which includes its
extension), its category (source, Linux, Windows, DOS, Android, etc), its size,
and its timestamp. The extension in conjunction with the category tends to be
meaningful enough. How would you recommend improving this without severely
bloating the file list?

>For example, which archives subsume which other ones?

What, exactly, do you mean?

>Several of the archives are only available in rpm format, which is
>specific to a particular version of Linux.  It would be nice to have
>tar.gz or zip versions available, as well.

Okay, maybe this is what you're getting at with your "subsume" question. Most
contain everything. Tehre are two exceptions:

.rpm: The RPMs are split up so that, if one wants to minimize the pulling in of
dependencies, only as much as is absolutely needed can be installed.

brltty-win-*: There are two variants for each Windows build. This is necessary
because, for Windows, we do full binary builds. There's a build that uses the
older LibUSB Win32 interface, and there's a build that uses the newer
LibUSB-1.0 WinUSB interface.