[BRLTTY] documentation issues

Rich Morin rdm at cfcl.com
Tue Jul 5 12:29:12 EDT 2016

On Jul 5, 2016, at 03:43, Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> wrote:
> Are you looking for something like a PDF version, or is the cleaned up text
> version good enough?

The cleaned up text version is a huge improvement, but it would be great
to have a printable and searchable version that retained the style info
(eg, italic, bold, link). This could be a single HTML page or a PDF document.

>> The download page contains no descriptions ...
> How would you recommend improving this without severely bloating the file list?

I would add a descriptive section on "Distribution Formats", near the top
of the page (eg, just below the "Copyright and Disclaimer").  It would provide
a general overview of the available distributions, eg:

=====
<P>
<B>BRLTTY</B> and <B>BrlAPI</B> can be downloaded in various archive formats
(e.g., tar.gz, rpm); they are also available from our GitHub repository.
Some distributions (e.g., brltty-x.y.tar.gz) contain the entire package;
others (e.g., devel) contain only selected subsets, including:
<UL>
<LI>brltty-braille-brlapi-* contains ...
<LI>brltty-braille-xwindow-* contains ...
<LI>brltty-devel-* contains ...
<LI>brltty-screen-* contains ...
<LI>brltty-systemd-* contains ...
<LI>brltty-utils-* contains ...
<LI>brltty-win-* contains ...
</UL>
<P>
The RPM archives (*.rpm) are split up to minimize the pulling in of dependencies.
Only as much as is absolutely needed can be installed.
<P>
There are two variants for each Windows build.
This is necessary because, for Windows, we do full binary builds.
There's a build that uses the older LibUSB Win32 interface
and there's a build that uses the newer LibUSB-1.0 WinUSB interface.
=====

As a small nit, I'd also add a <P> tag just above the first table
(between the introductory text and the heading row).

-r

http://www.cfcl.com/rdm           Rich Morin           rdm at cfcl.com
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume    San Bruno, CA, USA   +1 650-873-7841

Software system design, development, and documentation