[BRLTTY] Screen not in text mode

Mike Gorse mgorse at alum.wpi.edu
Wed Jul 6 20:14:40 EDT 2016

On Sat, 2 Jul 2016, Dave Mielke wrote:

>> I'm using a Vinux VM on my Mac. BRLTTY displays the message in the
>> subject line instead of what's on the screen. How do I fix it?
>
> Brltty shows "screen not in text mode" when your system is switched to a
> graphical console and a graphical screen reader (like Orca) isn't running. In
> your case, my guess is that your system is booting to an X console. I suspect
> that what you need to do is to switch to a text console.

It might also mean that orca isn't able to authenticate with brltty, since
orca interacts with brltty through an API that requires authentication.
Authentication can be done in several ways, and I'm not sure how vinux
does things, but normally your user needs to be able to read
/etc/brlapi.key. It is likely that that file is group-readable, so make
sure that your user is a member of the group that brlapi.key is associated
with.

-Mike