[BRLTTY] brltty and Esytime, on Raspbian Jessie.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Jul 7 17:26:39 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by Arthur BREUNEVAL on 2016/07/07 at 20:44 +0200]

>OK, so actually LectJoystickLeft does the same as LeftJoystickUp for
>me. Until to print the last output line, it prints the last command
>entered. ......

In the Esytime key table, LeftJoystickLeft is go up to previous command prompt,
but LeftJoystickUp is go to the top left of the screen.

>I checked the Esytime documentation: LeftJoystickDown and
>RightJoystickPress are effectively internal functions (useless, but
>...). So we should assign other aey(s) for these functions.
>The list of internal functions are :

Thanks. I'll add these comments to the key table so we won't forget them, and
we can work on better bindings.

>There are only two l keys, ,l1 and l5, and they are positioned just
>below the two joysticks.

Thanks. We can add sensible bindings for them, too.

>Finally, here is the output log file, while I typed some characters
>which are printed. But you will see that there is not any packet...
>The keyboard is a braille keyboard. But like I said, it is not needed
>to have a screen reader to use the keyboard. For example, I can type
>characte!s even if BRLTTY is disabled, and the keys are these of an
>AZERTY keyboard (e.g. if I type A, then A will be printed if my
>keyboard layout in Raspbian is configured as AZERTY, but it will
>print Q if it is not.)

So that must mean that the Esytime is presenting a USB HID keyboard. That means
that there's nothing we can do about those missing characters as they simply
aren't defined within the device.

From what I remember, the characters that you told me don't work involve dots 7
and/or 8. Maybe they just didn't define any characters that use those dots.
Perhaps you should report this to them so they might consider adding those
characters to their next firmware release.

>(I try to be as clear as possible, but it is quite hard...)

You've been very clear, actually.