[BRLTTY] problems after upgrading to brltty 5.4

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Jul 12 07:02:27 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by J.G on 2016/07/12 at 12:43 +0200]

>It was brltty version 4. I forgot, which was last number.

I/O changed alot starting with 5.0 as we went from a polling-based to an
event-based paragirm. I hope we didn't mess up serial I/O on Windows.

>> We need to see a debug log. Please update your brltty.conf to specify:
>>
>>    log-level debug,serial,inpkts,outpkts,brldrv
>>    log-file /the/path/to/some/file/for/logging
>>

>Excuse me, can I copy these 2 lines directly to brltty.conf or should
>i replace any part of them with other arguments or parameters?

Just the path to the log file. On Windows, maybe it needs to look something
like:

   log-file C:\temp\brltty.log

>I ask this, because I do not know console apps very well, due to using gui
>programs frequently.

No problem. It's always better to ask. Beware, though, that I'm not a Windows
person. :-)

>> Could you please post your actual brltty.conf so that we can have a look at
>> exactly how this is specified?
>
>I will post it at your private address. See next mail.

Thanks. I can see the problem. You have multiple entries for things. For
example, you have a braille-device line that specifies serial:COM1, but you
also have one that specifies USB:. Since the USB: one is first, it's the one
that's being used. Please ensure that your brltty.conf only specifies each
option once. My guess is that it'll then work, and that you won't need to
bother with caturing a log.