[BRLTTY] brlapi without terminal (when raw is not supported)

Michael Katzmann mkat at nlsbph.org
Sat Jul 23 20:17:49 EDT 2016

I am writing a program that will output already contracted braille to a
braille display and reads keys (to move through the text).

I'd appreciate advice on two issues:
When I execute the test program I am told that the driver doesn't support
'raw' mode.

brltty: isRawCapable(trueBraille) not met: driver doesn't support Raw mode

I do not want to associate a terminal with the program (there is none
relevant.. this will run on an embedded device running Linux without a
screen).
How do I do this with brlapi ?  Can I need to create a dummy terminal or is
there a work around?

I need to run the program with root privilages even though I am in the
'brlapi' group. Why would that be ?

$ ./brlAPItest
brlapi_openConnection: Authentication failed
$ groups
michael wheel cdrom uucp dialout video lock tomcat brlapi fuse

This is on a Fedora 24 system.

and a bonus question ...  I need to use the CONTROLVT option to avoid the
error "Can't determine tty number".
It does run in the text only pseudo terminal just not in the GUI (Gnome
Terminal 3.20.2)

$ sudo CONTROLVT=2 ./brlAPItest
Driver name: HumanWare
Braille display has 1 line of 32 columns
Trying to enter in raw mode...
brlapi_enterRawMode: Operation not supported
Taking control of the tty...
Ok
Writing to braille display...
Ok
Waiting until a braille key is pressed to continue...
got it! (code=20)
type 0, command 0, argument 32, flags 0
type SYM, command LATIN1, argument 32, flags
Leaving tty...
Ok