[BRLTTY] brailliant bi display support

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Jul 30 21:43:04 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by kendell clark on 2016/07/30 at 02:41 -0500]

>I've been getting a couple of questions from sonar users about getting
>their braille displays from humanware working with brltty. I know brltty
>supports the brailliant displays, but does it support the newest one,
>called the brailliant bi?

Yes. Note, though, that the older Brailliant models use the Baum driver whereas
the newer Brailliant BI models use the HumanWare driver.

>They say when they plug it in nothing happens

Please ensure that, for a Brailliant BI, 5.4 is being used. There are some very
important fixes in 5.4 for the HumanWare driver.

>and I'm wondering if maybe it's a bluetooth display. Brltty is using it's
>stock config file, which autodetects the display,

Brltty, by default, only detects USB devices.

>but does brltty autodetect bluetooth displays? If not, would it be possible to
>add this?

Yes, and no. No, because the address of a Bluetooth device can't be guessed,
so, therefore, must be explicitly specified. Yes, because, if the address is
specified, brltty can detect which type of braille device it is.