[BRLTTY] Emacspeak and Braille displays

Rich Morin rdm at cfcl.com
Tue Jun 14 13:31:19 EDT 2016

On Jun 14, 2016, at 03:37, Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> wrote:
> [quoted lines by Rich Morin on 2016/06/13 at 20:08 -0700]
>> If not, would it be hard to set up?
>
> That was achieved way back in the mid '90s. :-)

Thanks for the clarifications!  This sounds quite encouraging.

>> Comments and suggestions welome... (ducks)
>
> I'm curious. Ducks?

Sorry; "(ducks)" is shorthand for

  "I'm ducking my head, in case the responses I get are negative."

That said, your response was quite positive and encouraging.  Now, I
just need to find out some specific details for our use case.  If we
can arrive at a working solution, I'll happily write up a HowTo page.

Here is a bit of background, to get us well started.  Amanda Lacy has
a MacBook Air, running OSX.  Her display, a HumanWare Brailliant BI40,
connects to the Air via USB.

  HumanWare Brailliant BI 40
  http://store.humanware.com/hus/brailliant-bi-40-new-generation.html

Although I didn't find any information on using BRLTTY with OSX, it
is written in C and already works with Linux and OpenBSD, so porting
it (if need be) is unlikely to be too difficult.

That said, it would be lovely to find out that a port has already
been done.  Alternatively, it may be that Apple's built-in Braille
support can do the job:

  Braille Displays for OSX
  http://www.apple.com/accessibility/osx/braille-display.html

The other issues we face have to do with Emacs and Emacspeak.  Emacs
divides the screen into "buffers", each of which can contain text.
So, we need a way to display the current line of the current buffer.

-r

http://www.cfcl.com/rdm           Rich Morin           rdm at cfcl.com
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume    San Bruno, CA, USA   +1 650-873-7841

Software system design, development, and documentation