[BRLTTY] Emacspeak and Braille displays

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Jun 15 05:51:28 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by Rich Morin on 2016/06/14 at 10:31 -0700]

>Sorry; "(ducks)" is shorthand for
>
>  "I'm ducking my head, in case the responses I get are negative."

The only one who may need to duck his head around here is myself whenever
stupid bugs slip through. :-) That being said, I myself don't believe in head
ducking, excuse making, etc. Just simple honesty and taking responsibility.

>Here is a bit of background, to get us well started.  Amanda Lacy has
>a MacBook Air, running OSX.  Her display, a HumanWare Brailliant BI40,
>connects to the Air via USB.

Brltty does support the Brailliant BI 40. There've been some problems, though,
but they've been fixed in the development code and shall be in release 5.4
which should be released next week.

>Although I didn't find any information on using BRLTTY with OSX, it
>is written in C and already works with Linux and OpenBSD, so porting
>it (if need be) is unlikely to be too difficult.

Brltty already builds for Maac OS X. Its one big limitation on that platform is
that it can't directly read the screen's content as it does on Linux. What our
Mac OS X users do is to apply a patch that we supply to the screen program.
That patch causes screen to maintain an image of the screen content within a
shared memory segment that brltty knows how to interpret.

We do have Mac OS X users of brltty on this list. Perhaps one of them can offer
you more direct help.

If you're familiar with programming for Mac OS X, and if you know how brltty
could read the screen content directly, then your help would most definitely be
appreciated so that this capability could finally be implemented.

>Alternatively, it may be that Apple's built-in Braille support can do the job:

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple's VoiceOver already supports the Brailliant BI
40. If it does then you may still want to use both it and brltty - i.e. brltty
for terminal windows and VoiceOver for graphical ones. That'd be a matter of
user preference.

>The other issues we face have to do with Emacs and Emacspeak.  Emacs
>divides the screen into "buffers", each of which can contain text.
>So, we need a way to display the current line of the current buffer.

I myself much prefer vim, but there are many Emacs users on this list. Perhaps
they can address your concerns. Maybe post a list of Emacs-specific questions
with a subject that'll grab their attention.