[BRLTTY] Emacspeak and Braille displays

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Jun 15 12:20:18 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by Rich Morin on 2016/06/15 at 08:53 -0700]

>We can certainly wait for the release, if need be.  Alternatively, would it make
>sense to get started with the current release (5.3.1) or the development repo on
>GitHub (https://github.com/brltty/brltty)?

Totally up to you. All of the fixes are already in our development code.

>When you speak of the "screen program", I assume that you're talking about
>screen(1), which is shipped with OSX and available from the GNU Project:

Yes.

>Also, Amanda is located in Austin, while I live near San Francisco.

This is a gun free zone. :-)

>From the README file, it appears that BRLTTY can be downloaded and built from
>source code on any supported platform.  Are there any Mac-specific gotchas?

Not that I know of. Of course, I don't know what you might consider a
"gotcha".

>We also need to download the current copy of screen (4.3.1), obtain and apply
>the patch, and then build a new executable.  Where might we get the patch?

Within the Patches/ subdirectory of brltty's source tree.

>Finally, we need to start up the combination of BRLTTY, Emacs, Emacspeak, and
>screen.  Are there any options or settings we need to know about?

Best to get an answer from an actual Mac user.

>I'm not sure how closely Apple's support for Braille displays is tied to
>VoiceOver.

It's completely tied into it. It may be called VoiceOver, but it does both
speech and braille.