[BRLTTY] Emacspeak and Braille displays

covici at ccs.covici.com covici at ccs.covici.com
Wed Jun 15 13:06:08 EDT 2016

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> wrote:

> [quoted lines by Rich Morin on 2016/06/15 at 08:53 -0700]
>
> >We can certainly wait for the release, if need be.  Alternatively, would it make
> >sense to get started with the current release (5.3.1) or the development repo on
> >GitHub (https://github.com/brltty/brltty)?
>
> Totally up to you. All of the fixes are already in our development code.
>
> >When you speak of the "screen program", I assume that you're talking about
> >screen(1), which is shipped with OSX and available from the GNU Project:
>
> Yes.
>
> >Also, Amanda is located in Austin, while I live near San Francisco.
>
> This is a gun free zone. :-)
>
> From the README file, it appears that BRLTTY can be downloaded and built from
> >source code on any supported platform.  Are there any Mac-specific gotchas?
>
> Not that I know of. Of course, I don't know what you might consider a
> "gotcha".
>
> >We also need to download the current copy of screen (4.3.1), obtain and apply
> >the patch, and then build a new executable.  Where might we get the patch?
>
> Within the Patches/ subdirectory of brltty's source tree.
>
> >Finally, we need to start up the combination of BRLTTY, Emacs, Emacspeak, and
> >screen.  Are there any options or settings we need to know about?
>
> Best to get an answer from an actual Mac user.
>
> >I'm not sure how closely Apple's support for Braille displays is tied to
> >VoiceOver.
>
> It's completely tied into it. It may be called VoiceOver, but it does both
> speech and braille.

But, you won't be able to see anything if you run the emacs app, but you
would hear what emacspeak has to say using speech.  However what comes
with OSX is old, so you would need a newer version of emacs anyway.  The
only way that emacs and brltty can interact is using emacs from the
terminal.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici