[BRLTTY] Emacspeak and Braille displays

covici at ccs.covici.com covici at ccs.covici.com
Wed Jun 15 16:05:48 EDT 2016

Rich Morin <rdm at cfcl.com> wrote:

> On Jun 15, 2016, at 10:06, covici at ccs.covici.com wrote:
> > Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> wrote:
> >> [quoted lines by Rich Morin on 2016/06/15 at 08:53 -0700]
> >>
> >> It's completely tied into it. It may be called VoiceOver, but it does both
> >> speech and braille.
> >
> > But, you won't be able to see anything if you run the emacs app, but you
> > would hear what emacspeak has to say using speech.  However what comes
> > with OSX is old, so you would need a newer version of emacs anyway.  The
> > only way that emacs and brltty can interact is using emacs from the
> > terminal.
>
> Amanda recently installed a copy of Emacs, then added Emacspeak.  She
> describes the current situation as follows:
>
> > It's configured so that Emacspeak runs when I type "emacs" at the shell
> > or open it from the applications menu.  Emacspeak uses one of the Mac
> > voices, but this is not done through VoiceOver.  It reacts to my key
> > presses with speech and sound, but the Braille display doesn't update
> > at all because the Braille display is driven by VoiceOver.
>

> I'm not sure how BRLTTY, Emacspeak, and screen(1) can or should interact.
> My notion is that one should be able to use Emacspeak in its normal mode,
> relying on screen and BRLTTY to capture and display the current line.  Is
> this a possibility?  Are there any reasons it wouldn't be a good idea?
>
> John, it sounds like you are running Emacs inside a Terminal session, via
> screen.  If so, you probably aren't using Emacspeak's audio capabilities.
> Is this the case?  If so, can you tell us why you use vanilla Emacs?

There is no way that Brltty can interact with emacs except if emacs is
run from the terminal using screen and then I am not sure  whether
emacspeak will work that way, but try and see.  But outside of terminal,
brltty will have nothing to see and voiceover cannot access the
emacspeak app -- boy I wish emacs were written so it could do that.  I
got partial results by running the macport by YAMAMOTO Mitsuhar.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici
         covici at ccs.covici.com