[BRLTTY] Emacspeak and Braille displays

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Thu Jun 16 04:39:21 EDT 2016

covici at ccs.covici.com writes:

> Rich Morin <rdm at cfcl.com> wrote:

>> > But, you won't be able to see anything if you run the emacs app, but you
>> > would hear what emacspeak has to say using speech.  However what comes
>> > with OSX is old, so you would need a newer version of emacs anyway.  The
>> > only way that emacs and brltty can interact is using emacs from the
>> > terminal.
>>
>> Amanda recently installed a copy of Emacs, then added Emacspeak.  She
>> describes the current situation as follows:
>>
>> > It's configured so that Emacspeak runs when I type "emacs" at the shell
>> > or open it from the applications menu.  Emacspeak uses one of the Mac
>> > voices, but this is not done through VoiceOver.  It reacts to my key
>> > presses with speech and sound, but the Braille display doesn't update
>> > at all because the Braille display is driven by VoiceOver.
>>

>> I'm not sure how BRLTTY, Emacspeak, and screen(1) can or should interact.
>> My notion is that one should be able to use Emacspeak in its normal mode,
>> relying on screen and BRLTTY to capture and display the current line.  Is
>> this a possibility?  Are there any reasons it wouldn't be a good idea?
>>
>> John, it sounds like you are running Emacs inside a Terminal session, via
>> screen.  If so, you probably aren't using Emacspeak's audio capabilities.
>> Is this the case?  If so, can you tell us why you use vanilla Emacs?
>
> There is no way that Brltty can interact with emacs except if emacs is
> run from the terminal using screen and then I am not sure  whether
> emacspeak will work that way, but try and see.

If you run emacs in the terminal, you might need to pass
the argument -nw to it, to make sure it starts up in text-mode.
Emacspeak should work fine in a text-mode emacs session,
at least that is how I was using it several years ago.

If you have a patched screen and run emacs -nw inside of it, BRLTTY
should be able to see the screen content and present it to the user.

P.S.: I'd be interested where setting up Emacspeak for Mac is
documented?
I might want to do that on my Mac as well.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕