[BRLTTY] Baum driver not stable

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Jun 25 21:52:35 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by André-Abush Clause on 2016/06/26 at 03:27 +0200]

>Hmm... Nevertheless, I don't have multiple instances of brltty.

But you certainly did. Your log contained this line:

2016-06-23 at 23:12:53.397 [server-main] another BrlAPI server is already listening on 0 (file /var/lib/BrlAPI/.0 exists)

>Anyway, I don't see more than a brltty process together when this
>occurs.

But your log clearly shows that there are (or were) at least two running.

>Additional details:
>- The problem doesn't occur with the BrlAPI. Eg. it works perfectly
>with Orca. So, the problem occurs in TTY mode only.

This is further evidence that my suspicion is probably correct. If it's working
with Orca, i.e. via BrlAPI, then that brltty is communicating properly with
your braille device. The source of the data, i.e. whether it's from the screen
driver or from BrlAPI, has absolutely no impact on the braille driver's
communication with the braille device, so, if that brltty is working fine via
BrlAPI then it'd also work fine in text mode.

And, from your log, it's the other brltty that's having problems. Having more
than one brltty process trying to control the same braille device always
creates confusion and often causes severe problems.