[BRLTTY] introduction

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Mar 19 12:53:09 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by kendell clark on 2016/03/19 at 11:35 -0500]

>I've added the debug log level and a log path to my brltty config file.

Yes, that's a good place to do it since you don't need to then keep remembering
to specify the options. I often do it that way myself. :-)

>I have a debug log file for anyone who is interested. Should I attach it
>to an email or upload to a pastebin?

Attaching it to an email to the list (as long as it isn't huge) is best. Based
on what you've written below, though, you may not need to in this case.

>I attempted to load the following speech drivers in order: vv, espeak, and
>finally sd. I checked /usr/lib/brltty, and neither libbrlttysd.so nor
>libbrlttyvv.so exist, but brlttyes.so does, as does libbrlttyfv.so, so it
>looks like the speech dispatcher driver isn't being built.

Yes, that's a correct assumption.

It isn't likely that the ViaVoice driver would've been built since it isn't
likely that you have either the run-time library or the headers for it. They
haven't been available, to my knowledge, for a long time.

As for eSpeak, I'm guessing that you may not have installed its development
package (espeak-dev, espeak-devel, or whatever). In other words, brltty's
configure couldn't find the needed headers. If you're wondering why somethnig
didn't happen at build-time, a good place to start is config.log.

>Is there a git repository I can clone to follow brltty development? This would
>help me better keep up with new brltty releases so I can keep the brltty
>package up to date in my linux distribution.

Yes: github.com/brltty/brltty.git

Details on this can be found on brltty.com -> Download -> The Source
Repository.