[BRLTTY] introduction

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Mar 19 14:17:18 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by kendell clark on 2016/03/19 at 13:04 -0500]

>One thing I've just noticed. I just rebuilt our brltty package for
>sonar. During the configure step, brltty is warning it can't find
>speech-dispatcher. I'm assuming it needs it's headers. Arch doesn't
>provide separate header packages like debian and fedora do, but the
>headers are placed in /usr/include/speech-dispatcher. Is there a way I
>can help brltty find it so I can set speech-dispatcher as an available
>driver?

There's a way to tell configure that the whole package is somewhere else, but
there's no option just for the headers. Does speech-dispatcher come with a
pkg-config .pc file? If so, we can update brltty's configure to use it. That,
after all, is the best way since it let's the package itself tell others where
its various components are.

>The plan is to eventually have brltty use the sd driver as default, so if the
>user changes orca settings, brltty will keep up. If that doesn't work out I'll
>fall back to the espeak driver. Thanks Kendell Clark

Makes sense. Again, though, don't add "auto" to the mix as, also for the speech
driver, "auto" only works if specified by itself. Just specify the speech
drivers that you'd actually like to use.