[BRLTTY] the orbit display

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Sep 2 20:28:46 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by kendell clark on 2016/09/02 at 19:10 -0500]

>I've just been told about this display from a member on the sonar
>support list. I don't know much about it except it's some kind of group
>effort by a bunch of blindness organizations to create an affordable
>display that's going to have usb and bluetooth connectivity. I don't
>think it's out yet, but has anyone hear heard of it? When it comes out
>is it going to have brltty support?

I heard of them a few months ago, and, at that time, wrote to them. They
haven't answered yet, so maybe it's time to try to write to them again.

>I've been asked to get a couple for testing in sonar. I might be able to
>manage that if the entire community pools it's resources. The sonar community,
>not you guys, although I wouldn't turn down help from anyone. The point is, if
>it doesn't work in brltty yet, will it?

We'd certainly like it to, but, for that, we need their cooperation. We need to
know their protocol's details, and we also need access to an actual device for
testing.

>Does this display "officially" support linux or is it the usual story, windows
>mac and possibly android?

A piece of hardware doesn't support or not support any particular platform(s).
The issue is which platforms are supported by the manufacturer. Only it,
therefore, can answer your question.

>I can look this up on my own if I need to, but my social media manager wants
>to actually contact whoever is developing this display to get them involved to
>make sure it works with linux, and I'd like to know if he'll be accepted or
>rejected as that "1 percent" like usually happens.

I hope I'm misunderstanding this statement as you seem to be wondering whether
or not we'd welcome the manufacturer's cooperation in order to add support for
this device.