[BRLTTY] could this be a bug?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Sep 6 15:02:32 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by kendell clark on 2016/09/03 at 21:27 -0500]

>Could this be a brltty bug? Braille displays plugged in after brltty has
>restarted usually display "screen not in text mode" until brltty is
>restarted. This only happens if you're in a graphical desktop, they work
>fine if you're in the text console. Once brltty is restarted, after the
>brltty startup message orca picks up on the display and it works fine.

Yes, it's a bug. Perhaps we could call it an expected problem since a proper
fix requires an as yet unimplemented new feature. The basics of the problem are
that Orca can't determine the size of the braille display if it starts and the
display isn't there yet, and that there's currently no way to tell Orca when
the display has finally been connected so that it can try again.

Are you building from the latest development code so that I can send you a
patch for testing?