[BRLTTY] BRLTTY Udev Rules and Systemd

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Sep 13 10:32:23 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by Rob on 2016/09/12 at 23:14 -0500]

>I copied the included
>"udev.rules"
>from the BRLTTY source package to
>"/etc/udev/rules.d/brltty"
>and left it at that. This is a systemd based Linux build. I use this method on my other system to have BRLTTY start automatically and it works great.
>However, when I boot the new system, I see
>"BRLTY 5.4 rev unknown"
>on the display. That message just hangs there and nothing else happens.
>Is this a problem with BRLTTY or systemd?

This sounds like it might be related to a change that was made to udev when it
came under systemd support. The brief descriptoin of that problem is that udev
now insists on arbitrarily killing a command (in this case, brltty) if it
starts it directly. The powers that be decided that they want udev, thse days,
to start commands via systemd.

So we now need to do some research. What I'd like to know first is if your udev
rules file tries to invoke brltty directly or if it uses systemd. Could you
please attach it to a post so that I can have a look at it?