[BRLTTY] BrlAPI Raw key code mode?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sun Aug 20 19:56:02 EDT 2017

[quoted lines by Samuel Thibault on 2017/08/20 at 21:53 +0200]

>Well, I'm wondering whether it's really to be done and maintained within
>brltty, and not just within Orca, which is what knows what it wants to
>do. Brltty exports commands just because it happens to have them. If
>some client likes the way it is, then it can use them, and otherwise,
>I don't think brltty can really provide something that would be good,
>compared to defining key tables on the client side.

Perhaps, but when we put all of the grapical environments together (Windows,
Mac, iOS, Android, etc), that's a lot of key tables. I'm suspecting that there
may be a lot more in common between them than we initially may think, and,
therefore, we just might benefit from a common set of commands that perform the
same set of functions in all of them.

It'd also be better for a braille device user to need to become familiar with
only one, albeit general, paradigm. That isn't to say, of course, that a
particular client shouldn't be able to augment the basic set with its own
exgtensions.

Smething else to consider is that we - not any maintainer of any graphical
screen reader - are familiar with braille devices. Is it really each of their
jobs to come up with optimal key tables for each braille device model that's
out there? I myself don't think so. I see that as our job since that's our area
of expertise.

--
Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | http://Mielke.cc/
EMail: Dave at Mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | The Bible is the very Word of God.