[BRLTTY] Brltty woes on Centos 7

Keith Wessel keith at wessel.com
Wed Mar 1 16:17:54 EST 2017

Alright, I've made a much simpler brltty.service to try and simplify things,
and I'm getting this down to a console error. I've changed my system to only
boot to runlevel 3 to get Gnome out of the mix. But, when brltty starts at
boot, it still reports "screen not in text mode" on the braille display. The
journalctl output from brltty.service tells me that brltty is reporting:
control[console] error 5: Input/output error.

Is this a funky permissions issue with system not allowing console access
for some reason? Oddly, once I'm logged in, I can stop and restart brltty
either using the executable directly or my system service, and it comes up
fine. I'm blaming that "after I've logged in" part, and that's why I'm
suspecting system permissions.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Keith