[BRLTTY] Brltty woes on Centos 7

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Mar 1 16:37:01 EST 2017

[quoted lines by Keith Wessel on 2017/03/01 at 15:17 -0600]

>Alright, I've made a much simpler brltty.service to try and simplify things,
>and I'm getting this down to a console error. I've changed my system to only
>boot to runlevel 3 to get Gnome out of the mix. But, when brltty starts at
>boot, it still reports "screen not in text mode" on the braille display.

Does CentOS 7 put X on tty1? If so, I bet it still reserves tty1 for that even
when at run level 3.

>The journalctl output from brltty.service tells me that brltty is reporting:
>control[console] error 5: Input/output error.

Please add brltty logging options in your service unit so that we can find out
what the problem is from "the horse's mouth".

>Is this a funky permissions issue with system not allowing console access for
>some reason?

I doubt it, but who knows. I hate guessing, and much prefer just facts.