[BRLTTY] Brltty woes on Centos 7

Keith Wessel keith at wessel.com
Fri Mar 3 23:18:18 EST 2017

Now that makes perfect sense! I used to be a bit more of a serial geek back
in high school and my days of BBS sysoping. Other than setting up serial
consoles as an emergency console when my system won't boot so I don't have
to get my wife to read the screen to me, I don't think about it much these
days.

Sure enough, after initial boot and starting of services, ttyS0 is at 9600
baud, but it's at 19,200 when I restart brltty. Good call! Here's the sty
output after I first log in while the braille display is still not
functioning:
speed 9600 baud; line = 0;
<undef>;
 ignbrk -brkint -icrnl -imaxbel
 -opost -onlcr
-isig -icanon -echo -echoe -echok -echoctl -echoke

And after I stop and restart brltty, it's at 19,200 baud. I had that one
captured earlier but can't get it back at the moment because I'm out of the
office and the display's not connected, but I can get it later. I assume
brltty does some autodetecting of baud rate when it's initializing the
braille display. Is that true? Do you know if the Power Braille does
auto-detect or if it insists on 19,200?

I'm also open to suggestions how I might go about finding out what's
changing my baud rate. I'll start browsing through the system units that are
enabled; one of them must be the trouble maker.

Keith