[BRLTTY] Brltty woes on Centos 7

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Mar 3 23:59:34 EST 2017

[quoted lines by Keith Wessel on 2017/03/03 at 22:18 -0600]

>I assume brltty does some autodetecting of baud rate when it's initializing
>the braille display. Is that true?

It depends on the device. In general, the driver knows which bauds it's able to
use for the models it supports.

>Do you know if the Power Braille does auto-detect or if it insists on 19,200?

The Power Braille can operate at either 9,600 or 19,200 baud. The driver tries
first at 9,600, and then at 19,200. If it works at 9,600, then it tells the
device to switch to 19,200, and then uses that.

>I'm also open to suggestions how I might go about finding out what's
>changing my baud rate. I'll start browsing through the system units that are
>enabled; one of them must be the trouble maker.

It may not be there. I know that when I connect a USB to serial adapter, the
first thing I observe is a modem probe. My guess is that udev is doing it, but
I've never checked to be sure. In any event, you'll notice, in the systemd
dependency rules I sent you, that they now wait for udev to settle. That should
be sufficient.