[BRLTTY] braille star 40

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Wed Mar 29 18:17:56 EDT 2017

Cheryl Homiak <cah4110 at icloud.com> writes:

> I have an old Braille Star 40 here. It works fine with voiceover on my
> Mac
> but I can't bring it up with brltty.

On the Mac, or on Linux?

> I am wondering if a usb driver might be needed such as prolific for
> using it in terminal but that isn't needed for voiceover so I am not
> sure. Has anybody else been using this display that can tell me
> whether a driver was needed for the usb cable that came with the
> display when using brltty?

Support for the Braille Star 40 USB chip (GoHub or FTDI, depending on
your model) was added to BRLTTY a very long time ago back in 2002.  It
is one of the first displays that was natively supported by the
user-space USB implementation of BRLTTY.  That is a long winded way of
saying: Yes, the Braille Star 40 should actually be supported out of the
box without any problems.  I have used it personally roughly 14 years
long, and mine is still perfectly functioning, but sitting in a drawer
and waiting to take over in case of an emergency.  I can only report
about it working on Linux though, have never tried to run BRLTTY on the
Mac.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Blog: <https://blind.guru/>  GitHub: <https://github.com/mlang/>