[BRLTTY] brltty text table and system keyboard syncronization

payman shaykhmehdi payman.shaykhmehdi at gmail.com
Sun May 7 07:13:39 EDT 2017

Hi all,

I need to use both system keyboard and braille display keyboard for typing
and I want to use both English and Persian languages. I have mapped some
key combinations to change text tables between Persian and en_us in my
braille display. Also I have added some code to braille driver of my device
in brltty so that when changing text table it changes the system keyboard
layout(using setxkbmap command).

I have written a thread to catch MappingNotify event and when this event
happens, it changes the brltty text table using replaceTextTable()
function.When I change keyboard layout using system keyboard,in the logs
brltty says that text table have been changed but when I try to type using
braille dots in braille display, it types nothing in the text editor, and
xbrlapi logs says :

"Couldn't find modifiers to apply to KEYCODE for getting keysym KEYSYM".

I also tried to use kbd.c functionality to catch keyboard shortcuts and
then change text table there, but it seems that functions in this file
never ben called.

Is there any way (maybe very simpler than mines!!) to do this task? I mean
when the system keyboard language be changed, brltty text table be changed
too and vice versa?

I am using brltty 5.4 in ubuntu 16.04.