[BRLTTY] Brltty for Android tips for new features

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Apr 25 16:52:13 EDT 2018

[quoted lines by Mgr. Janusz Chmiel on 2018/04/25 at 20:03 +0200]

>Better support for Facebook Messenger all included TABS inside this
>application.
>Tabs such as people, active, ETC. Brltty display some names of
>Android UI class in some circumstances.

Would you be able to give me some specific examples to look for?

>One think will note be easy for debugging. But it is very important
>to fix it.

Don't worry about that as that's my problem. :-)

>When user press button not cursor routing button, but other button
>for object navigation with Brltty, Brltty has build in auto repeat
>function. So if some button is being hold for some hundreds of
>milliseconds, Brltty auto repeated its assigned task. But in some
>cases, Brltty auto repeat automatically if user press button for very
>quick moment. It it making this problem while using Tieman Braille
>Voyager connected to USB. This problem do not exist in Brltty for
>Linux or for Windows.
>The similar problem exist, when user type letters on build in Braille
>keyboard. Sure, auto repeat is presented also while using Android
>supported eevice with USB external keyboard. But I think, that there
>is some hydden little problem while implementing this feature for
>connected Braille devices.

Is it your experience tht this only happens when your Android device becomes
very busy doing other things?

>Kiss Launcher support.
>UI of this launcher uses may be non standard object type for Brltty.
>While using Talkback and while swipe from left to right or from right
>to left, Brltty do not display The right item on The display.

Do you know if this launcher does its own gesture interpretation? I'm guessing
that it takes over from Explore By Touch. If so, I'm guessing further that it
isn't setting the Accessibility Focus to the current item. If all of this is
true then the best fix would be for you to ask its developers to ensure that
Accessibility Focus is always set appropriately.

>I know, that coordinating Talkback with Brltty while user uses Explore by
>touch Android service with Talkback or other screen reader is not easy.

It's actually fairly easy. The reason that brltty and TalkBack cooperate so
nicely is because they both set and react to changes to the Accessibility Focus
property mentioned above.

Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | WebHome: http://Mielke.cc/
EMail: Dave at Mielke.cc | Ottawa, Ontario   | Twitter: @Dave_Mielke
Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |