[BRLTTY] Fedora dracut module

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Fri Jun 1 14:28:10 EDT 2018

[quoted lines by Jaroslav Skarvada on 2018/06/01 at 04:01 -0400]

>proof of concept implementation:
>https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/brltty/c/5f009fa9a69939c3dc8b6d50c053bb72f02f406d?branch=master

I see support for two kernel parameters: brltty.braille_driver, and
brltty.braille_parameters. At least the braille device and text table should
also be specifiable. Rather than this code supporting some subset of these
parameters, assuing that the dracut environment has /proc/cmdline, brltty
itself could look for all of its parameters if -E is specified. What do you
think?

I don't see brltty-lsinc being used (yet) to support brltty.conf and table
include statements. Is this something you'd be adding, or would it be something
that you'd like me to look into adding?

How would I include what you have so far when using the dracut command to
create an initramfs?

On another topic: I myself haven't yet ventured into the graphical world, but,
as you might've guessed, I do use Fedora (28). Since I have an actual braille
display, I might be able to check how well (or not) Orc really does work with
brltty on Fedora. To that end, perhaps you can offer me a bit of setup advice:

I started with the server edition plus a bunch of packages. I added to it the
workstation package group and started gdm. That doesn't seem to be enough to
get Orca to run (ps says it isn't). What do I need to do to get Orca to run on
the gdm login screen? Also, to get speech, would I need to do something extra
(like start speech-dispatcherd), or, once Orca is running, should speech just
work?

Note that when, as root from a separate tty, I run Orca I get this error:

   Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
   Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
   (orca:4480): dbind-ERROR **: 14:27:03.183: AT-SPI: Couldn't connect to
   accessibility bus. Is at-spi-bus-launcher running?
   Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |