[BRLTTY] Fedora dracut module

Jaroslav Skarvada jskarvad at redhat.com
Mon Jun 4 04:24:13 EDT 2018

----- Original Message -----
> [quoted lines by Jaroslav Skarvada on 2018/06/01 at 04:01 -0400]
>
> >proof of concept implementation:
> >https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/brltty/c/5f009fa9a69939c3dc8b6d50c053bb72f02f406d?branch=master
>
> I see support for two kernel parameters: brltty.braille_driver, and
> brltty.braille_parameters. At least the braille device and text table should
> also be specifiable. Rather than this code supporting some subset of these
> parameters, assuing that the dracut environment has /proc/cmdline, brltty
> itself could look for all of its parameters if -E is specified. What do you
> think?

OK, I will add them all as boot command line parameters, syntax:
brltty.lower_case_parameter_without_brltty_prefix, e.g. for
BRLTTY_ATTRIBUTES_TABLE the following boot parameter will work:
brltty.attributes_table

I will use this syntax to be consistent with other kernel and dracut parameters

> I don't see brltty-lsinc being used (yet) to support brltty.conf and table
> include statements. Is this something you'd be adding, or would it be
> something
> that you'd like me to look into adding?

Initially, we didn't add it. It could be added later. Feel free to provide
patch.

> How would I include what you have so far when using the dracut command to
> create an initramfs?
Just installing the module should be enough:
# dnf install brltty-dracut

Then the brltty support should be added when the initramfs is (re)created:
# dracut -f

> On another topic: I myself haven't yet ventured into the graphical world,
> but,
> as you might've guessed, I do use Fedora (28). Since I have an actual braille
> display, I might be able to check how well (or not) Orc really does work with
> brltty on Fedora. To that end, perhaps you can offer me a bit of setup
> advice:
>
> I started with the server edition plus a bunch of packages. I added to it the
> workstation package group and started gdm. That doesn't seem to be enough to
> get Orca to run (ps says it isn't). What do I need to do to get Orca to run
> on
> the gdm login screen? Also, to get speech, would I need to do something extra
> (like start speech-dispatcherd), or, once Orca is running, should speech just
> work?

On the GDM login screen just hit 'Alt + Super + S' and ORCA will be started,
it's started with speech and Braille enabled. For Braille to work brltty
service has to be run.

thanks & regards

Jaroslav